A termite infestation can be devastating not only for your home or property, but also for the health of your family. With termites comes termite feces, which cause skin-related reactions, and molds, which cause longer-term health problems.
In India, termites will build huge mounds that will last longer than the colony can survive. There are a multitude of methods to discourage termites from feasting on a person's home, but unfortunately many species manage to get around them. Once a colony has moved in, it can be difficult to exterminate them. It is best to book a preventative inspection every year, especially if you are on the Gold Coast.
Here are some of the termite diseases you should know about
- Skin conditions :
Termite granules are harmful to humans. These granules, also called excrement or poop, are wood-colored and when in contact with the skin, they can cause contact the dermatitis as well as allergic reactions. Contact dermatitis is a skin reaction resulting from exposure to irritants. This rash is limited to particular areas of the skin and contains clearly defined borders. When allergic reaction occurs, the first exposure to the allergen may not cause inflammation, but subsequent exposure causes itching, which leads to the development of dermatitis.
- Asthma :
Asthma is another occurrence thanks to a termite infestation. As termites break down wooden structures, this can cause mold to appear. If this fungus appears inside your home, constant contact can cause serious health problems. Mold produces spores in the air and settle on human skin or enter our body when we breathe. Inhaling mold spores causes migraine attacks, runny nose, cough, conjunctivitis and chronic asthma. Mold is particularly dangerous for children, especially those with depressed immunity, as their immature organisms are most exposed to the impact of mold and spores. If a child is in constant contact with mold, he can be sick for life.
- Respiratory diseases :
People who are immunocompromised or suffering from chronic lung disease, such as lung disease, can have a serious infection in their lungs when exposed to mold. These people should avoid mold, especially when caused by termites. According to the Institute of Medicine, there is sufficient evidence to suggest that indoor exposure to mold has caused upper respiratory tract symptoms, coughing and wheezing in healthy people. The same study also provided evidence linking indoor mold exposure to respiratory disease in healthy children.
- Electrocution :
Unfortunately this does not stop there, termites can also damage your electrical wiring! Some types of termites, especially those made of wet wood, have strong jaws. They use their powerful jaws to bite and chew on any electrical wires or cables they can find, looking for more digestible cellulose, which can cause short circuits in your home. One case of this concerns a colony of termites nesting around an electrical supply cable for a hot water system. The termites had severely damaged the insulation around the cable and caused a dangerous and fatal breakdown. This could have led to an electric shock, endangering the owners' families.
If you suspect a Termite infestation, contact an exterminator. Treatment plans can vary depending on the type of Termites you have. A pest control professional can do a thorough assessment and prepare a complete treatment plan for you.