Bees are winged insects with more than 20,000 species listed worldwide.
Length: The large pluton bee, the largest of these creatures, is 3.9 cm long, while Perdita minima, the smallest of the bees, measures less than 2 mm long.
Color: Bees can be black or brown with bright red, yellow or blue stripes
How did I get bees?
Bees sometimes enter houses while looking for a place to nest. Insects prefer dark and protected areas, so that voids in walls or chimneys often meet their needs. Any outdoor living space is at risk of bee infestations. Some species that nest in the voids of the walls fly inside the living space through baseboards, electrical outlets and cracks in the walls.
- it is important not to plug the exit hole of a bee colony. Bees, like wasps, will find another way out and they may be inside your home.
- Hives containing honey should be removed from the home by professionals. If a hive is not removed before the wax decomposes, the result could cause structural damage, not to mention a honey-waxy mess. It will attract other hungry insects that will eat the honey when the bees are gone.
- Children, pets and other people should never be present when trying to treat a bee problem, and a protective suit against bees should be worn. Again, the best way to manage bee removal is to call a professional.
- Some sources claim that bees are more aggressive on windy and cloudy days because they cannot hunt for food under these conditions. However, bees can be in a bad mood in all weather conditions and should always be approached with caution.
- Do not use bright light if you are working to remove a hive at night (when the bees are less active). Use a red light to avoid agitating the bees. Bees are just as ready to bite at night as they are during the day if they sense that the hive, or themselves, are threatened.Walk slowly near the hives on the ground, as the vibrations of heavy steps can irritate a colony.
While these options can remove unwanted bees from your home, the best solution is to call a local beekeeper or a pest control professional. PDI service technicians are trained to properly remove bees from your home